- Prep Time:2h 30m
- Cook Time:30m
- Total Time:3h
- Serves: 8
- Yield: 1 giant roll
- 75 grams unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 400 grams bread flour
- 50 grams almond flour
- 55 grams brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 ounce unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
For the filling:
For brown butter icing:
For the dough:
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Add all but 1/4 cup of the milk, then remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Put the remaining dough ingredients EXCEPT for the yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer attached with a dough hook. Stir lightly to combine.
- In another small bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup milk with the yeast and stir with a fork to combine. The milk should be just above room temperature. Within a couple minutes, you should see bubbles forming. If you don\'t, your yeast is D-E-D, so you\'ll have to get fresh yeast and try again.
- Add the yeast/milk mixture and the butter/milk mixture to the bowl and stir on low speed. Knead until the dough is smooth, elastic, and slightly tacky, about 5 minutes.
- Cover with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place to rise for 30-45 minutes or until double in size.
- While the dough is rising, grease and line a 9-inch round springform pan. When the dough has risen, punch it down and turn it out onto a lightly floured work surface again. Roll out into a 12-inch square.
- In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Spread the melted butter over the dough and evenly sprinkle over the brown sugar mixture.
- Slice the dough lengthwise into 6 equal strips Roll the first strip up in a spiral, just like a regular cinnamon roll. Place the rolled cinnamon roll on the edge of the next strip and roll that strip around the cinnamon roll, until all the strips are rolled around and you have one giant swirly roll.
- Move the roll over to the greased pan, and cover gently with plastic wrap. Set aside for about 45 minutes to rise in a warm place.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. When the roll has risen, remove the plastic wrap and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until lightly golden, risen and cooked through. Remove the roll from the tin and leave to cool just until warm.
- While the roll is cooking, make the icing. Make brown butter in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Once it's the doneness you want, remove the pan from the heat, pour the brown butter and bits into a freezer-safe bowl, and let cool for 20 minutes. The butter should be a good amount of solid, but a little bit of liquid is okay.
- Place the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the cream cheese and beat on high until smooth and creamy, 3-5 minutes. Add the vanilla and salt, and beat again until incorporated. Add the brown sugar and mix on low until combined, then increase the speed to medium-high and beat until the frosting is creamy.
- Spread over the roll while it\'s still warm. Pro tip: Slather onto the sides of the roll as well so that each bite is full of icing and roll.