I haven’t created a thankful list in a long ass time (as O pointed out), and given the current state of the world, it feels like a really good time to write one.
This last week hit me hard. What had started as a novel, temporary way of living has turned into a “new normal,” and frankly I’m not stoked about it. I miss traveling, group fitness classes, dressing up for a nice dinner, seeing friends IRL.
But I also know that I am fortunate, much more so than so many others who are devastated, struggling, and fighting. I know that it’s 100% OKAY to feel how any of us feel, whether it’s sadness, frustration, anger, boredom, restlessness, or just plain burnt out. We are all taking this day by day, creating new routines and laying rest to old ones.
I wrote this list as a reminder to myself that there are things to be grateful, and even happy/amused/hopeful for right now and wanted to share. We are in this together.
- Therapy: I’ve seen my therapist for 5 years and I’m so thankful she’s doing virtual sessions. Lordt knows we all need someone to talk to.
- Running: I have a love-hate relationship with running, but if anything, it gets me outside regularly, and now that spring is here, I get to enjoy warmer weather.
- Obsessing over my house plants: I have literally been watching them grow (my monstera just got a brand new giant leaf!) and it’s so satisfying.
- Healthy family and friends: I feel this deep down, that the people I love are doing okay.
- My Kindle: I purchased one the week that quarantine got announced and I’ve been reading a book a week. I’ve really enjoyed this and this read.
- Cooking adventures with Orlando: I’m impressed AF at how much he’s been cooking, and I’ve been so excited to share more of my passion with him! He even made my pancake recipe and it turned out better than I made it….
- Being financially stable: Again, I feel this deeply. I have lots of friends in the food industry where this is not a reality, and I’m grateful that I can support myself and support them too.
- Meal and pantry kits: Speaking of which, we’ve been getting kits from various local restaurants and suppliers and they have been amazing! Check out Canela’s paella, Liberty Duck’s duck legs, CUESA’s farm boxes, Shake Shack’s DIY meal kits, and CreamCo’s bunker boxes.
Spring produce: Winter bores me so much when it comes to food, so I’m excited for all the new things we can eat now—berries, summer squash, asparagus, bring it on.
Sharing and teaching pastry: I launched a virtual pastry class and I’m so excited to be able to share/force my love for desserts on you all! This extra time allowed me to sit and actually put this together after months of talking about it, so sign up and let’s cook and eat!
Real friendships: SIP has pushed me to connect with the friends that matter most to me, whether they live down the street or across the country. I have so much love for these people.
My tripod: It’s dumb, but we use this all the time to prop up our phones to watch IG live workouts (Orlando) or film cooking videos (me). Yes, a TikTok video is coming soon…