ut class="jpibfi" type="hidden">
- Prep Time: 24h 45m
- Cook Time: 30m
- Yield: 1.5 quarts of ice cream
For ice cream:
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 15 grams (2 Tbsp) milk powder
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 330 grams (1 1/3 c) whole milk
- 330 grams (1 1/3 c) heavy cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 330 grams (1 1/3 c) mango puree
- 3-4 Tbsp Grand Marnier
For candied cacao nibs:
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup cacao nibs
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the 1/3 cup sugar, milk powder, salt, milk, and cream. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- In the meanwhile, place yolks in a medium bowl and whisk. Set up an ice bath by filling a large bowl with ice and some water about halfway full.
- Once the milk mixture is hot, gradually pour some of the warm milk into the yolks, whisking constantly as you pour to keep the eggs from cooking. Scrape the warmed yolks and milk back into the saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until the custard thickens enough to coat the spatula, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour into a large tupperware that has a lid, or else a large bowl. Whisk in mango and Grand Marnier.
- Place the tupperware in the prepared ice bath with the lid off. Let it come to room temperature.
- Once at room temp, cover the tupperware and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat the 1/4 cup sugar and honey on high heat. Once mixture is boiling, let it cook until it turns a medium amber color and smells like caramel.
- Remove from heat and work quickly: Add in all the cacao nibs at once, and use a spatula to make sure all the nibs are evenly covered. Pour out the brittle onto the prepared baking sheet, flattening it as best you can.
- Let it come to room temperature, then roughly chop and store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- The next day, spin ice cream according to your machine\'s instructions. Once ice cream is done, use a spatula to scoop some into a loaf pan. Sprinkle some of the chopped candied nibs in, then add another layer of ice cream. Repeat until the loaf pan is full, and use the last of the candied nibs to sprinkle over the top. Wrap pan in plastic and freeze for at least 1 hour before serving.