I hope everyone had a wonderful, relaxing, satiated Thanksgiving! I spent a few days at home with the Day 1 Crew eating way too much, and then made my way down to Socal for a last-minute road trip with my homegirl in tow.
Getting out of the city was refreshing and also a little bit wild. The thing about SF is that within its cozy 7 by 7 miles, emotions go awry and bounce off the walls of every music venue, deep-dish pizza joint, and ice cream shop. I’ve been feeling the weight of them all more often than not these past couple of weeks. With a quick trip south, I got to remember how fun and random life can be.
Anyone who comes on trips with me knows that I center my planning on food and music. Los Angeles was no exception. Along with checking out the Fonda Theatre and Exchange, I found some easy favorites at the following places:
- Gjelina: A late lunch means no wait for a table. Get burrata anything.
- Huckleberry: This is Santa Monica’s answer to Outerlands and it’s delicious, especially the pastries.
- Intelligentsia Coffee: Late nights mean caffeinated mornings
- Hyden Yoo: This chic, edgy store has some great clothing finds!
- Now Boarding: An airplane-themed bar with great music and a crowd that doesn’t care if you dance the “Sorry” dance in the middle of the floor
- Urth Caffé: Because if the boys on Entourage can eat here, so can I
While old feelings and nerves quickly sink back upon returning to San Francisco, I know more experiences are never too far away.