ut class="jpibfi" type="hidden">
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 15m
- Total Time: 30m
- Yield: 1 9" cake
- 120 grams (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 120 grams (1 cup) almond flour or almond meal
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 3 grams (3/4 tsp) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 85 grams (1/4 cup) honey
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) whole milk
For pine nut topping:
- 100 grams (1.25 cups) pine nuts
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream or whole milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease an 8" or 9" cake pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all cake ingredients and whisk throughly until batter is evenly combined and there are almost no dry bits of flour anywhere.
- Pour into prepared cake pan and pop it into the oven. Set a timer for 12 minutes and start making the topping while cake is baking.
- Place a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the pine nuts and toast until they are fragrant and browned, which should take 5-7 minutes. Stir them occasionally.
- Pour pine nuts into a small bowl and set aside.
- Using the same saucepan, add honey, water, butter, and cream, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring so everything is evenly combined.
- Remove from heat and stir in the pine nuts.
- At this point, the cake should be ready or almost ready—the top should be golden brown, it smells fragrant, and a toothpick will come out clean. If this isn't the case, bake for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Once cake is done, let is sit on the counter for 5-7 minutes. Then use a toothpick or a knife to poke holes all over the surface of the cake. It will look weird but it's okay!
- Pour the pine nut mixture all over the cake—it will look like a lot of extra liquid but dont 'worry, the cake will soak it up. Use a spatula to evenly spread the pine nuts over the cake.
- Let cake cool for an additional 5-10 minutes before serving. Wrap and store in the fridge for up to 1 week.