ut class="jpibfi" type="hidden">
- Prep Time:1h 30m
- Cook Time:1h
- Total Time:2h 30m
- Serves: 8 slices
- Yield: 1 tart
For the crust:
- 120 grams (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cold
- 3 Tbsp whole milk, cold
For the filling:
- 400 grams (1.5 cups + 2 Tbsp) full-fat ricotta cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 60 grams (2 cups) kale, roughly chopped
- 120 grams (1/2 cup) whole milk
- 2 scallions, minced
- 2 sausages, fully cooked, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium tomato, sliced into 7-8 slices
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt.
- Cut the chilled butter into medium-sized cubes and add to the bowl. Use your hands to smear the butter with the flour over and over again until there are large streaks of butter dispersed. The mixture will look shaggy and not come together, and there will be a lot of dry flour; this is okay.
- Add the milk and continue working the dough with your hands until it comes together into a ball; you should still have a few visible smears of butter remaining.
- Shape dough into a disk 1" thick and wrap tightly in plastic. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before using (can make this the day before and chill overnight).
- When ready to bake, remove dough from freezer and let soften for 15 minutes at room temperature. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and roll into a circle about 1/4" thick and 15" inches wide. Keep flouring as needed to make sure the dough doesn't stick to your surface or the rolling pin.
- Gently drape the dough into a 9 or 10" tart pan and press in and up the sides create the crust. Trim and patch up dough as needed to make sure that it is even all over the pan. Place in the freezer until ready to use. (If you are using a springform pan, lightly spray the pan before doing this step.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta, kale, milk, scallions, sausage, nutmeg, salt, and pepper and whisk until mixture is smooth.
- Remove tart pan from freezer and pour in the filling. Use a spatula or spoon to smooth the top; depending on the size of your pan, you may have some extra filling, so scoop out as needed.
- Arrange the tomato slices evenly over the tart, and sprinkle them with some more salt and pepper.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, until the center of the tart is firm when you touch it, the sides are lightly browned, and the tart crust is a deep golden-brown color.
- Cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serving. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 1 week.