- 20 grams (2 Tbsp) bread flour
- 75 grams (1/3 cup) water
For milk bread rolls:
- 115 grams (1/2 cup) whole milk
- 30 grams (~3 Tbsp) granulated sugar
- 5 grams (1.5 tsp) rapid rise yeast
- 320 grams (2.25 cups) bread flour
- 3 grams (1 tsp) salt
- 40 grams (5 Tbsp) milk powder
- 1 egg, room temp
- 28 grams (2 Tbsp) unsalted butter, room temp
- 43 grams (3 Tbsp) unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons pistachio paste (can replace with marzipan or any other nut paste)
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
For egg wash:
- 1 egg
- Splash of milk
- Your favorite honey
- In a small saucepan, whisk together flour and water and heat over medium-low. Whisk constantly until mixture pulls away from the sides of the pan and has a thick, porridge-like consistency, which should take 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside until ready to use.
- In a small bowl, microwave the milk in 10-second bursts until it is around 110 degrees F; it should feel a little warmer than room temperature but shouldn't burn you in any way. Whisk in the sugar and yeast and let sit for 5-7 minutes until little bubbles form. If nothing forms, your yeast is dead and you'll need to get fresh yeast and start over.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, add bread flour, salt, milk powder, egg, and butter. Mix briefly for 30 seconds. Add in cooled tangzhong and milk-yeast mixture. With the mixer on low, mix for 5-7 minutes until the dough comes together into a smooth, elastic ball. You may have to hold the bowl in place so it doesn't fly off; the dough gets thick and can dislodge it! (If you don't have a stand mixer, do this by hand in a large bowl. You should need for 10-15 minutes to get the dough to the same, smooth-elastic state.)
- Grease a large bowl. Shape dough into a ball and place in the bowl. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to its lowest setting (on mine it's 170 degrees F). Grease a 9" cake pan and set aside. On a lightly floured surface, turn out dough and punch it down.
- Roll out dough into a 12" x 8" rectangle. Dough will be tough, but resist adding any more flour unless it is really sticky. Just work those arm muscles.
- Brush melted butter over the dough, going all the way to the ends. Next, spread pistachio paste evenly over dough. Finish by sprinkling the cardamom evenly. Roll rectangle tightly and place seam side down.
- Use a serrated knife to gently slice into 12 rolls. Don't push down too hard or else you'll mess up the shape. Place into prepared pan.
- Cover pan with a towel and place in the preheated oven. Turn off oven immediately, and let dough rise for 1 hour, til doubled in size.
For egg wash:
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and splash of milk.
- Once dough has risen, remove from oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Brush egg wash over the dough. Return to oven once it's ready and bake for 20-23 minutes, until the tops are golden brown; when it's done, the bread will sound hollow when tapped.
- Let cool for a few minutes before pulling out rolls. Sprinkle each roll with honey before serving.