ut class="jpibfi" type="hidden">
- Prep Time: 1h 30m
- Cook Time: 15m
- Total Time: 1h 45m
- Yield: 12-15 cookies
- 1 stick good quality salted butter, room temperature
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks, room temperature
- 120 grams (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 40 grams (1/4 cup) cornmeal
- Zest from 1/2 a lemon (optional)
- Ice cream of your choice, to make sandwiches
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on medium until pale and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the egg yolks, and beat until well blended, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce mixer to low and add the flour, cornmeal, and lemon zest. Mix until just combined; do not overmix.
- Shape dough into a disc, cover in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (can also make ahead of time and chill overnight).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat.
- Cut out two large pieces of parchment paper and place the dough onto one of them. Place the other piece of paper on top, and roll the dough out 1/2-inch thick. Use a 2-inch cutter (or jar lid, whatever ya got!) to cut out rounds, and place 1/2 inch apart on the baking sheet. Gather the scraps, reroll and cut out more cookies.
- Freeze the cookies on the baking sheet for at least 30 minutes before baking. (Alternatively, you can stack the cut-out rounds between sheets of parchment paper, cover and refrigerate until you’re ready to bake the cookies.)
- Preheat to 350 degrees. Bake the cookies until the centers are set and the edges are very lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Rotate the pans from top to bottom and front to back halfway through the baking time. Immediately transfer the cookies to a wire rack, and let cool completely. Store the cookies in an airtight container for up to 1 week.