- Prep Time: 3h
- Cook Time: 14m
- Total Time: 3h 15m
- Serves: 12 people
- Yield: 12 buns
For the dough:
- 6 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 packages cardamom pods, crushed
For the filling:
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons fig jam
- 1 package egg
- 1 pinch Pearl sugar (optional)
For the dough:
- In a heavy saucepan, heat cardamom pods and milk until it\'s scalding. Turn off heat, cover, and let sit for 10 minutes. Discard pods.
- Whisk in butter until melted through and transfer to stand mixer. Let cool to110 degrees (it should feel slightly warm to the touch).
- Stir in yeast and let sit 10 minutes.
- Combine dry ingredients in a small bowl. Add to stand mixer and mix until combined. Use a dough hook to knead it until dough is smooth, soft, and elastic.
- Shape dough into a ball and put in a clean bowl. Cover with towel and let it rise for an hour in a warm place.
For the filling and assembly:
- Mix brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
- Punch down the dough and roll it out to a 12 x 18 rectangle, with the short side facing you. Spread the half closest to you with butter and then jam.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon mixture over it.
- Fold the top third of the dough down and the bottom up over it, like a letter. Use a sharp knife or a pizza cutter to cut dough into 12 strips.
- Cut each strip 3/4 of the way up lengthwise. Twist the ends and tie into a knot. Tuck the ends under.
- Place on a Silpat, cover with a towel and let rest 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Beat the egg lightly in a small bowl. Uncover buns and brush with beaten egg. Sprinkle with pearl sugar (if using) and bake for 12-14 minutes until golden brown and baked through. Immediately transfer on a wire rack.
Leave a Reply