- Prep Time:1h
- Cook Time:12m
- Total Time:1h 12m
- Serves: 15
- Yield: 15 tarts
For the crust:
- 50 grams buckwheat flour
- 130 grams AP flour
- 13 grams sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 stick butter, cold and cut into squares
- 1/4 cup cold milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 pound cherries, halved and pitted
- 1 cup jam of your choice (I used blackberry)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch sugar
For the filling:
For the crust:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together buckwheat, flour, sugar, and salt.
- Add in the cold butter pieces and mix until the pieces resemble large peas.
- Add in egg yolk and mix for 30 seconds. Add a dash of cold milk and mix again for 30 seconds. Keep mixing in this fashion until dough comes together. Be patient—it’s easy to add in too much milk and make the dough too wet. It’ll come together quickly.
- Wrap tightly and refrigerate for at least an hour before use.
- When chilled, roll the dough out on a floured surface until 1/8” thick. Using fluted cutters, punch out large rounds. You can re-roll the dough 1-2x more before it’ll be too dry to use. Discard the remaining dough.
- Keep rounds in the fridge until ready to use.
For the filling/assembly:
- In a large bowl, toss together cherries and cornstarch and set aside until ready to use.
- Take the rounds out of the fridge. Spread 1-2 teaspoons of jam over the bottom of each, leaving a border (it’ll be folded over later).
- Pile 1-2 tablespoons of cherries over jam.
- Fold the edges of each round over to create little galette pouches (see picture). Return to the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Whisk the egg with a dash of water and brush over exposed pastry crust. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until crust is golden and filling is bubbly.
- Let galettes cool for 10 minutes before piling with ice cream or whipped cream.